Downsizing isn’t just reserved for corporate and business offices. In these days of tight economics, downsizing is becoming a necessity in living space as well. A full 87% of Americans consider themselves to live in a small to medium sized home says the American Furniture Manufactures Association.
However, utilizing and decorating small living spaces doesn’t have to be a property pain. There are ways to use and decorate small spaces wisely and efficiently so that they maintain a cozy feel that is neither cramped nor cluttered.
Here are some top tips for getting the most out of your square footage:
- Use tall furniture over wide, horizontal pieces. This will allow for more open floor space.
- Purchase or utilize pieces of furniture that contain a lot of drawers, shelves, cabinets and other storage spaces to keep clutter organized and out of sight.
- When shopping for furniture, you might first check the children’s department at the furniture store. Quite often, smaller pieces can be found there that fit your rooms like the proverbial peas in a pod.
- Buy a bed that has underneath drawers, or use colorful storage bins and boxes that fit neatly under the bed.
- Look for furniture that is made with retractable doors instead of hinges. This keeps floor space open when utilizing the compartment spaces of the unit.
- Another item to consider when shopping for furniture is to look for wheels. Furniture items with wheels can not only be easily rolled into place, but can be rearranged for an occasional new look, or to better suit a guest gathering.
- Use a dining table with removable leaves so that space can be increased for entertaining guests or visiting family members.
- Utilize wall space by adding shelves and racks where decorative items can be displayed without taking up much space on or around furniture.
- When planning how to best decorate and utilize your wall space, leave room for the occasional mirror. A strategically placed mirror not only accents a room well, but it also distributes more reflective light into the space, giving it the appearance of being larger.
- Keep several folding chairs in the closet or stackable chairs in a storage room to use when guests arrive. Just because you have a small home doesn’t mean you can’t entertain!
With a little planning and creativity, you can turn your small living spaces into beautiful organized rooms that are warm, attractive and inviting.